Monday, May 10, 2010

"Dream Catcher Series I-Sweet Dreams"

I have an Apache cradleboard that was a gift many years ago. I've wanted to include this wonderful gift in a painting to commemorate the daily life of Native Americans. As a result I have decided to start a new series entitled "Dream Catcher Series." This is the first painting in that series which is the still-life portrait of an infant boy. The colors of the cradleboard are typical of the Apache tribe; the beadwork is for a boy. Included are his first moccasins, his medicine bag, and the gourd rattle used in the Naming Ceremony for his name. The Dream Catcher is usually hung over the cradleboard to encourage good dreams. In this case, the symbols in the background typify his first hunt. Red is usually the color of war, but can also signify a hunting party. Native American children are encouraged from an early age to practice their skills as a hunter in order to take a place of responsibility as a provider for the tribe. If you are interested in this painting, please contact me either here or on my website: http://www.vonniekohn.com/

24 x 30 Oil on Linen canvas

No comments: