Monday, August 10, 2009

"The Last Grandchild"


As with most families, we have a family tradition. My g-grandfather built handmade chairs & rockers for extra income. In the early days, he took a wagon load of rockers & various types of chairs to market. On his last trip, he gave each of his grown children a chair with the instructions that it was to be handed down to the youngest of each grandchild as a family heirloom. As luck would have it, the little red chair was given to my mother, the youngest at that time. Now I am in possession of this small chair which is being preserved for my youngest.


The seat is covered with old deer hide that has split & curled in the most interesting texture. The quilt, the Bethlehem Star pattern, also her quilt, is reminisicent of the period in which the chair was fashioned. Her christening dress, garden hat, and doll are all a part of her place in our family...this is a portrait of "the last grandchild" of my generation.
20 x 24 framed..please see my website if interested: www.vonniekohn.com

No comments: